Characteristics of objectives:
- Objectives are short term, specific, and product or task oriented, whereas vision and goal statements tend to be broad and encompassing, and present a big picture or direction.
- Objectives should be stated in terms of what is to be done, and the date by which it is expected to be done.
- An individual objective should be targeted for completion within a year or less.
- The collection of objectives in total should present a clear picture of how a district will implement their vision over a period of three years or so, and how far the district will move each year.
Some goals will look a lot like objectives, and some objectives will seem like goals. Don't worry about the distinction because you will revisit them all often. Write goals and objectives that make sense for
- What you want to do,
- How you really want to make it happen, and
- How you will know if you have accomplished what you set out to do.
Working from the school and/or district vision and goals, (look in your Technology Plan for some general statements) write objectives that follow the overall intention for the use of educational technology.
"The first important thing about educational technology is to replace it with learning technology. The shift from a technology of teaching to a technology of learning is an important trend we should encourage. We should think of the computer as what you make something out of, or as a medium that gives you the opportunity to express yourself and access what other people have expressed."
-- Seymour Papert, Education Theorist, and Professor of Computer Science at MIT
The same is true for the educational use of videoconferencing for teaching and learning…it must become a learning technology.
Here is a list of possible OBJECTIVES that you can tailor to your own needs by adding a timeline, who will be responsible for the implementation, and benchmarks of accomplishment:
- To provide a communication network for the buildings of a school district
- To encourage community involvement in school activities by providing access to school activities and other educational resources via videoconferencing
- To affect change in the delivery of instruction and the learning environment
- To create the infrastructure for future technological growth
- To create a system of inter-school linkage using videoconferencing technologies
- To create a long-distance learning capability through the use of videoconferencing technologies
- To provide additional large group demonstrations and instruction using computers and specialized technology for instructional areas such as science, language, art, music, and others
- To support teachers in transforming their own role and helping students become more active learners
- To integrate technology into the curriculum to broaden instructional options and improve the quality of teaching as an enhancement to the human interaction of the educational process
If the Goal is to implement a comprehensive school/district training program,
The Objectives might be to:
- Continue and increase workshops with an emphasis on curriculum integration
- Offer intensive technology integration workshops during the summer
- Focus staff development efforts on curriculum areas during implementation years
- Create a summer integration workshop program with groups selected through a proposal process
- Continue during-the-day workshops for administrators and support staff
- Monitor building technology inservices to ensure offerings at all sites
- Allocate a budget amount from state technology funds (and district funds) to support staff development activities
- Publicize availability of training workshops, events/meetings.
IF the Goal is related to curriculum development,
The Objectives might be to:
- Collaborate with subject-area coordinators to form a group of curriculum-area mentors.
- Identify student mentors where appropriate.
- Publicize and support mentor training opportunities in and out of district.
- Support technology conference and workshop attendance for curriculum coordinators, mentors and other technology leaders by designating a portion of the staff development/technology budget for this purpose.
- Allocate a budget amount from school/district/state technology funds to support staff development/technology activities.
IF the Goal is related to hiring and evaluation procedures… to promote the effective uses of technology as a criterion in hiring/evaluation,
The Objectives might be to:
- Create sample questions regarding technology experience for interviews
- Encourage use of technology as an Individualized Professional Plan goal for staff
- Include baseline technology competencies in teacher evaluation instruments
- Students will be able to use a variety of instructional technology applications for problem- solving and decision-making
- Students will be able to communicate locally and globally
- Students will be able to access, analyze, interpret and exchange information using a variety of technologies, including videoconferencing
- Students will be able to construct and publish projects using a variety of technologies, including videoconferencing
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources to support the curriculum appropriate to their teaching assignment
- Teachers will enhance professional productivity through the use of administrative applications and communication technologies, including videoconferencing
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources for more individualized and small group instruction
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources for increased opportunities to develop higher-order thinking skills
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources for more expedient access to research materials and information
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources for increased emphasis on writing skills, involving the presentation and sharing of work using videoconferencing technology
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources for a more global education to prepare students for the 21st century
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources, including videoconferencing, for student-directed learning experiences
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources, including videoconferencing, for more challenging and exciting ways of teaching and learning
- Teachers will be able to provide large group demonstrations and instruction using computers and other technology, including videoconferencing.
- Teachers will be able to use a variety of technological resources, including image capabilities through the use of video, still camera and scanners
- Teachers will link instructional design and technology in order to help students develop skills in problem-solving and communication to provide a strong basis for lifelong learning
- Teachers will provide opportunities for all students to learn, create, think, work with others, take responsibility, and be productive and at ease in a changing global society.
Objectives can also describe actions to be taken in regard to
- Common Software/Hardware Issues
- Student Proficiencies
- Teacher Proficiencies
- Responsible Use of Videoconferencing Technology (a.k.a. Etiquette)